We offer more than 100 workshops – all FREE and all included with your admission.
Have you ever wanted to learn to play an instrument? Or dance? The John Arcand Fiddle Fest offers two full days of workshops.
- Instructors are renowned and respected fiddlers, dancers, and guitar players who come from all over Canada.
- Red River Jigging, one of the mainstays of Métis culture, is also taught here.
- Our festival has a strong Métis theme but also promotes fiddle, music and dance from other cultures.
- You’ll have many informal learning opportunities as you network throughout the weekend in conversations and spontaneous jam sessions.
If your interests are in visual arts and story telling, be sure to take in our cultural camp.
Complete 2019 Workshop Schedule will be added soon.
Absolute Beginner: Instructed by Fay MacKenzie
Never picked up a fiddle? Always wanted to try it? Here’s just the workshop for you. The Absolute Beginners Workshop will have fiddles available for you to use (but bring your own if you have one), and a qualified instructor to teach you the bare necessities: how to hold the fiddle, how to hold the bow, and finger placement. Try it out – what have you got to lose?
- Metis and Old Time – Instructed by Lucas Welsh
- Metis and Old Time – Instructed by Tahnis Cunningham
- Metis Style – Instructed by Daniel Gervais
- Metis/Old Time – Instructed by Patti Lamoureux
- French Canadian/Old Time – Instructed by Rodney Krip
- East Coast Style – Instructed by Gord Stobbe
- Metis and Old Time – Instructed by Calvin Vollrath
Learn the basics or if you’re already playing, get some advanced instruction. Instructors will divide classes to meet demand.
- Beginner – Instructed by Shelia Pelletier
- Intermediate – Instructed by Freddie Pelletier AND Benjamin Knorr
- Advanced – Instructed by Clinton Pelletier
TRADITIONAL RED RIVER JIGGING WORKSHOPS
For years our Beginner Jigging workshops have been filled to capacity with many requests for a larger dance floor so we have moved them to the main stage/main dance floor for the 10:30 am and 1 pm session both Thursday and Friday. The 3 pm session each day will be held in Workshop location “5” and be designated as intermediate/advanced and designed only for those who have already taken several previous classes.